Skip to main content

✌ VEGAN CHOCO CROSSIES – easy, crunchy and to die for.



Don't we all have that one friend who ghosts you for the majority of their life and only gets into contact when it is convenient for them? Well, even if you didn't happen to know someone like that up to this point, now you do. I haven't posted on this blog since April of 2018 due to being occupied with adult life – but let me make it up to you.

I always loved these crispy chocolate flakes before I went vegan – some of you might know them as "Choco Crossies". Unfortunately, even in 2019, finding a version that isn't made with dairy or sold by an evil big cooperation like Nestlé is pretty difficult. But let me tell you: if something proves that you do not need expensive or mystical ingredients, nor a lot of effort to make vegan sweets, it is this recipe.

(I just noticed that every introduction to a vegan recipe blogpost on the internet sounds like that. Huh. Let's continue)

You'll need:

  • 200-300g of vegan chocolate 
  • 70g of cornflakes
  • 100g of blanched and chopped almonds
  • Vegan margarine and some sugar 

///Pricepoint: For the chocolate, I used the cheapest dark chocolate available at the discounter which happens to be vegan – same goes for the cornflakes. Roughly estimated I paid about 1.50 - 2€ for the amounts needed for this recipe. It would be much cheaper if you didn't use almonds though. Actually it would be even cheaper if you didn't make these bloody things at all BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT YOU'RE HERE FOR!!11!!! I'm sorry, I got distracted.


Instructions:

1.)  Sear the blanched and chopped almonds with some margarine and sugar in a pan until they take a golden color.

2.)  Heat the chocolate – either in a hot water bath, or if you're lazy like me, in the microwave. For that, put it into a microwave save bowl and microwave it for 20-30 seconds, stir, wait a few seconds and repeat that step until it's completely smooth. I used 2 complete chocolate bars (200g) which is just enough. Maybe use some more depending on your preference.

3.)  Mix the almonds, the chocolate and the cornflakes in a big bowl until everything's covered evenly (and by "everything" I don't mean your kitchen floor, hands or other body parts)

4.)  Spread the mixture on a baking tray (the amounts mentioned in this recipe will be enough to cover almost one tray) and cool it in the fridge. Or just leave it in a cold, dark room – does the trick as well.

5.)  When the chocolate has hardened, just break it into pieces and enjoy the chocolaty, crunchy goodness!






See? The only part that really requires effort is the preparation of the almonds and the chocolate. Everything else is simple enough for lazy vegans like us, am I right? 

I really hope that you, your loved ones or worst enemies (depending on who you'll share them with) will enjoy this recipe!  


As of right now, I can't make any promises to post regularly again, but if I see the chance, I'll bless your eyes and minds with my amazing prophecies from time to time! (Just kidding. Or am I...?)

Sincerely,


Comments